Expressions of interest are open for artists and producers to apply to You Are Here’s Cahoots Program 2020.
What is Cahoots?
Cahoots is a program for artists and arts producers who want to spend a year developing their practice with a small, critical community from diverse art forms and backgrounds.
We created this program because Canberra artists have told us that they want deeper and better critical community, and guidance in identifying all the possible ways that their art can be satisfyingly realised.
Cahoots is run by Creative Producers Nick Delatovic and Ketura Budd.
Here are some quotes from previous participants in the program:
“You Are Here has connected me with a community of creatives that are gentle and genuine, and for whom I will be eternally grateful. I often struggle greatly with levels of comfort in revealing the kind of artist I am / aspire to be – I was given the space to do so here. Through this program, I was able to create and realise art in an environment that is forgiving and freeing. This is valuable to me as an aspiring multidisciplinary artist and as an individual that finds it suffocating to exist in a capitalist driven world.” – Zhi Yi Cham
“Their prioritising of creative processes over consumer focused outcomes allows artists full freedom to explore and realise their vision.” – Claire Granata
“Being selected and offered support by the You Are Here program has been affirming and has helped me to put together some diverse elements of my art practice in a direction that feels right. It is also very good to have someone else working on the logistics, leaving me free to focus on the art.” – Nicci Haynes
“The future thinkings I took away from the program each fortnight were exactly what I needed to help me ruminate on where I am currently placed as a “creative artist”.” – Sia Ahmad
“To work with a team of producers who value experimentation, who value process/practice more than deliverables, and who create a space for rawness, vulnerability and questioning has been a deep relief.” – Hannah De Feyter
What will I do in the program?
You will form part of a small group that take part in fortnightly workshops on Monday nights in the Canberra CBD, from 6th April to 2nd November.
These workshops will involve critical discussions, sharing of individual work and practice, collaboration exercises, creative producing exercises and activities designed to form a community that can effectively critique and support each other’s art.
Outside of the workshops, the You Are Here producers will have one-on-one meetings with you to further clarify and work on your individual development goals. We can also facilitate other collaborative and mentor relationships for you if that suits your needs.
Throughout the program, you will set and achieve a measurable development goal for your arts practice. We will help you pursue your goal in the context of the following questions:
- Who are you and why do you do what you do?
- What are the values that drive you in your creative practice?
- What creative partnerships do you need to form to develop your practice?
- What resources do you need to develop your practice over time?
There is NO requirement to create any finished artworks as part of this program, or to present any work to a public audience. Those artists who do pursue the creation of an artwork will be provided with event producer support, artist fees and production budget, marketing support and the You Are Festival Season to present your work in September.
Is this program right for me?
This program could be perfect for you if:
- You are an experimental artist or you want to do something experimental within your art form
- You are making the jump from one art form to another for the first time, or wanting to blur the lines between art forms
- You have huge, ambitious, multi-year plans for your arts practice that are daunting to you, and you want some help working out where and how to start
- You spend a lot of time on the Working Artist treadmill of fundraising/ production/ audience outcome/ repeat and want to take some time out of that to reconnect with why you even do this stuff
- You want to identify more creative partnerships for your practice and want help forming them
- You are a creative producer (someone who facilitates and runs creative processes or organisation or events) who wants to further develop your skills and creation models. If you’re wondering whether or not you’re a creative producer then you almost certainly are!
- You want to better connect to the deeper global idea space relating to your arts practice
- You want to form new connections and community, and meet potential new collaborators
Are there any requirements or criteria that I have to meet?
- You must be based in Canberra.
- You must be over 18.
- You must be able to commit to attending fortnightly workshops on Monday evenings somewhere close to the CBD, as well as a fortnightly one-on-one meeting with producers at a time that we work out together.
- You must apply as an individual.
- You have some availability throughout September, when we will show any work that requires a public outcome.
There are no criteria regarding your experience, art form, education or training, background or age (as long as you’re over 18). If you have any requirements that make you wonder whether this program will work for you, we are here to talk to you about it – text us on 0423 535 369 to arrange a time to chat or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be paid a fee of $1,135.80 (inc gst) for your attendance at the workshops and meetings with producers. This will be paid in 2 instalments – one halfway through the program and one at the end of the program.
You may be provided with a discretionary budget of up to $300 (inc gst) to pursue activity relevant to your practice goals, such as rehearsal space or meetings with a mentor or consultant. This budget will be negotiated with your producers on an ‘as needs’ basis.
If you choose to create work, you may have access to an artist fee budget between $600-$1000 to pay collaborators and/or yourself, as well as a production budget between $200-$600 to pay for materials, technical requirements etc. Again, these fees will be negotiated with your producers.
Cool! Sounds great. How do I apply?
If you’re interested then send your responses to the points below to email@example.com.
Applications close at midnight on Friday 21st February 2020.
- Who are you?
- What do you do?
- What do you care about? (This is the really important one)
- Why do you want to join us for this program in 2020?
- If you have an up to date CV please send that too, plus any links to your work you feel like sharing.
Then what happens?
The producer team will make a shortlist from the EOIs. We will contact the shortlisted artists/producers and make time to meet with you for a beverage.
We will make offers to the selected artists on Monday 9th March. Those who are not selected for the program will be on our radar as possible collaborators and festival participants down the track.
The You Are Here 2020 Cahoots program is supported by the ACT Government through artsACT.